Monday, February 24, 2014

Suspected bowel obstruction

For the last four days, Bennett has complained of abdominal pain.  He stopped pooping about 72 hours ago (a big deal for a child who poops regularly throughout the day) and now has a low-grade fever.

He vomited once randomly during the middle of the night on Tuesday night and then again on Saturday night several times.  Of course, as luck would have it, we were out of state traveling when most of this was going on.

From almost the beginning of this episode, something inside told me it might be a bowel obstruction - something blocking his intestines.  But, I kept hoping things would turn out and show me otherwise.

We returned to Texas late last night so I took him first thing this morning to our Pediatricians office for an X-ray.  This is what it showed:



Bennett's pain is a lot like labor pains.  It comes and goes, at times, if he is still, he can feel good.  But when it comes, he will scream out in pain.  This has been going on, increasing in intensity for days and through the night.  It's been hard to watch.  I think right now, he's most at peace when he's sleeping.

The pediatrician and Radiologist suspect it's a bowel obstruction.  We are to be sent to Temple, TX for a CT scan where we are closer to the surgeons who will probably take over his care.

Getting an x-ray

I will know more later about what all of this means for us in the coming hours but wanted to go ahead and update for now.

4 comments:

  1. ugh poor little guy!! I hope everything works out OK, good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Cassandra. :)

      Delete
  2. I am Ryan Ferrell's sister and Matt Mabrey's sister in law. I have been following your blog and am so sorry to hear about Bennett. I have Crohn's disease so I have been through several obstructions and even had 12 inches of intestine removed. That xray looks very familiar. I don't know if you have been through this before with him or not, but I will say that the NG tube will provide almost instant relief from the pain, and the less in his bladder the more comfortable he will be since there's more room for the intestines. Heat also helps the pain. I will add you to our prayers. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, thank you so much for your comment! I think your suggestions for dealing with obstruction is very helpful!! I will continue to remember your tips!! From our experience with Bennett, I must tell you how sad I am that you have struggled with similar issues with your Crohn's disease and even had a foot of your intestines removed. It makes me very sad for anyone to have to deal with challenging digestive issues. :( Thank you for reading the blog and for providing your input!! Seriously, knowing an empty bladder and heat can be helpful is sooo useful to me as a mother! I will think of you as we continue to deal with issues such as these!

      Delete

We love to hear from you! Please leave your comment below!